Friday, March 14, 2008

Wackiest call in 30 years!

911 dispatchers in Gaston County, North Carolina received a dozen calls from one house in the past year, but none like the one Wednesday night. And, Communications Director Lloyd Moskowitz said in three decades of receiving calls in New York and Gaston County he has never heard a call like the call allegedly placed by Joshua Hightower. Moskowitz said that in the frightening, phony call, Hightower reported that armed men dragged his father away from their house.

In the call Hightower claimed men came out of the shadows. In one exchange the operator asked where his father was and Hightower responded, "I have no clue. It's like they drug him up through the yard and they have guns. It might sound crazy, but it looked like they tried to hang my dad."

The call was interrupted, but the operator tried repeatedly to call back, but couldn't get a connection until Hightower called back. The operator instructed Hightower to stay on the line with her, and then he made more stunning comments.

"I swear to God there are just like five more guys that just came up out of the shadows and I swear to God I, I don't know what to do. I got to go to my dad. I mean y’all please hurry," he said.

Five police cars were sent, but when they arrived there were no armed men and no signs that any one else had been near the house. Police said Joshua Hightower was intoxicated. His father drove up minutes later.

There have been a dozen calls from the house in the past year. Half of those were police-related calls involving Joshua Hightower. He has been charged with misuse of the 911 system and filing a false police report. Both are misdemeanor crimes punishable by up to 60 days in jail for each count. (info & photo from WSOC TV)

No comments: