Friday, May 23, 2008

Drunk driver called 911 about himself

On May 12, a drunk driver in Seattle called 911 to report himself, telling a dispatcher he didn’t think it was safe for him to drive.

"I just don't know if I'm safe to be driving,” he said. “I'm pretty drunk. I don't feel good." The driver and dispatcher discussed his drunkenness and that he would be arrested, but would ensure the safety of himself and other drivers. The driver pulled into a parking lot and when police arrived, he blew a 0.18 on the breathalyzer -- more than twice the Washington legal limit.

"I completely knew that I shouldn't have been on the road,” the driver said. “I barely even remember driving up until the point. But I just remember thinking in my head, like, wow, I'm completely and utterly unsafe right now. Killing someone else was the last thing I wanted to do. And I just, I think I started feeling really guilty about being on the road, and for whatever reason I called 9-1-1."

The driver now faces DUI charges and says he has learned a lesson.

"You hear it a million times, but drinking and driving, it does not pay off,” he said. “You know, you can do whatever you want with your own life, but if you take someone else's, I feel like you never gonna to forget that. You know, your life will never be the same. Ever." (info from MyFOX9.com)

No comments: